Albany NY Real Estate
New York State’s capital city, vibrant Albany is the heart of the Capital-Saratoga Region.
Cradle of the Union
Located on the western shores of the Hudson River, roughly 150 miles from New York City, Albany lies midway between the Adirondack Mountains and the Hudson Valley. It is the seat of Albany County and is one of the oldest cities in the country, having been incorporated in 1686.
Albany is part of the Tri-City Area, which includes Schenectady and Troy and has a combined population of approximately 870,000 residents. The city itself is home to a population of about 98,000.
Albany is composed of an array of neighborhoods, ranging from dynamic Center Square and its colorful row houses to quiet Buckingham Lake, where traditional single-family homes line the tree-shaded streets. Among the city’s many landmarks are the state capitol building and the Empire State Plaza.
It is also known as a university town – Albany is home to the University at Albany – State University of New York (SUNY) and notable colleges like Albany Medical College, College of Saint Rose, Excelsior College, and Sage College of Albany.
Visit Albany NY Real Estate
Get to know Albany NY Real Estate better with our featured images and videos.
Albany NY Real Estate Market
The housing market is mostly made up of single-family homes and apartments. Buyers can choose from a good mix of older and new construction homes, including quite a few historic properties. Vacant lots are also available, though these are few and far between. Victorian and Edwardian architectural styles are prevalent, including Colonial Revival, Greek Revival, Queen Anne, and Italianate. Some Federal-style homes and buildings have survived as well. The city is made up of the following neighborhoods, each with their own distinct flavor and identity:
- Arbor Hill
- Buckingham Pond/Crestwood
- South End
- Delaware Avenue
- Eagle Hill
- Washington Square
- Center Square
- Manning Boulevard
- West Hill
- Pine Hills
- Buckingham Lake
- New Scotland/Woodlawn
- Washington Park
- North Albany
- Upper Washington
If you think Albany should be the location of your next home, The Keir Weimer Team will be more than happy to help you navigate the real estate market here. Call them at 1.518.290.3032 to start looking at Albany, NY homes for sale.
Living in Albany, NY
Albany boasts a wide range of attractions, including:
- Downtown Albany – The thriving downtown area is jam-packed with shops, bars, cafés, and restaurants. Shop for clothes and accessories at Coliseum Mall and B. Lodge & Co. Book a table at Angelo’s 677 Prime or join any of the events that take place here throughout the year.
- New York State Capitol – Go on a tour of the New York State Capitol and learn about Albany’s history. Built from 1867 to 1899, with input from five architects, it is home to the War Room, the Million Dollar Stair Case, and the Senate Chamber.
- Empire State Plaza – Located in Downtown Albany, the Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller Empire State Plaza encompasses 98 acres, housing over 11,000 workers in 10 buildings. Completed in 1978, it is among the country’s most majestic capital centers, hosting festivals, tours, and concerts.
- New Scotland Avenue – This small commercial strip in the neighborhood of New Scotland is lined with shops, offices, and eateries.
- Crossgates Mall – The mall features major retailers like Aldo, Bath & Body Works, Dick’s Sporting Goods, and Forever 21. It’s also home to casual dining restaurants like Cajun Café & Grill and iGrill. Shop your favorite brands and grab a bite between fittings.
- Arbor Hill Park – The park features sports fields and ball courts, as well as open-air seating. Come here to play your favorite sport or watch a game.
Click here for the full list of parks, playgrounds, and community centers in Albany. For more information on Albany, get in touch with The Keir Weimer Team today at 1.518.290.3032 or keir(dotted)weimer(at)selectsothebysrealty(dotted)com.
Overview - Last 30 days
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.
What’s in Albany and Surrounding Areas
Pine Hills Elementary School
All Saints Catholic Academy
St Catherine's Center For Children R & E May School
Maimonides Hebrew Day School
Albany High School
New Scotland Elementary School
Center for Disabilitie Services
St Anne Institute
Blessed Sacrament School